Ingredients for Tangerine Jelly Marmalade:
- 2 lbs (900 g) tangerines
- 2 lemons
- 1 grapefruit
- 7 pints (4.2 litres) water
- 1 lb (450 g) sugar per pint (570 ml) of juice extracted
Method for Tangerine Jelly Marmalade:
- Wash and dry the fruit. Cut in half and squeeze out the juice. Remove the pips, inside skin and pith.
- Cut the peel finely.
- Tie the grapefruit peel and lemon peel in a piece of muslin along with the all the pips, inside skin and pith.
- Put the tangerine peel in a large bowl with the muslin bag of peel/pips etc. and the juice. Add 7 pints (4.2 litres) of water and leave to soak overnight.
- Turn into a preserving pan, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 1½-2 hours, removing the muslin bag after it has cooked for 1¼ hours.
- Test the contents of the preserving pan for pectin.
- Turn the contents of the preserving pan into a jelly bag and leave to strain overnight.
- Measure the juice and put into a pan to heat. Add l lb (450 g) of sugar for each pint (570 ml) of juice, stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the shredded tangerine peel and bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the marmalade reaches setting point.
- Remove the scum, leave to a cool a little.
- Pot and seal whilst still hot.
Makes about 5 lbs (2.3 kg) of tangerine jelly marmalade.
A lovely smooth breakfast marmalade, wonderful on hot buttered toast. Without those bits of peel some love and some find annoying.
For More Information on Marmalades