- 4 lb (1.8 kg) beetroot
- 1 large onion
- 1 lb (450 g) raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ lb (225 g) white sugar
- 1 pint (570 ml) white vinegar
- 6 peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- Wash the beetroot carefully without rubbing the skin and cook gently in a large pan, covering the beetroot with water, until tender.
- Allow to cool, rub off the skins and dice into cubes.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Put all of the ingredients into a large, heavy based pan, tying the peppercorns and cloves in muslin.
- Bring to the boil very slowly and then simmer gently until cooked and thick.
- Remove the muslin bag and pour into hot, clean, sterilized jars. Seal at once.
- Label with contents when fully cooled.
Makes about 5 lbs (2.3 kg) of Beetroot Chutney.