If you’re using actual lemons, grate the rind from them and squeeze out the juice. You can then put the grated rind in with the ginger in the muslin bag.
Ingredients for Green Tomato Jam:
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) green tomatoes
- 2 lb (1 kg) cooking apples
- Juice of 2 lemons (or 4 tablespoons of bottled Lemon Juice)
- 1 oz (25 g) root ginger
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) granulated sugar
Method for Green Tomato Jam:
- Wash the tomatoes, cut into quarters.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into chunks.
- Put tomatoes and apples into a pan. Add the lemon juice. Bruise the ginger and tie in a muslin bag and place into the pan.
- Cover with enough water to come to the level of the fruit.
- Bring to the boil and cook until the fruit is tender. Add the sugar, stir until dissolved, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick.
- Remove the ginger. Pour into sterilized warm jars and cover.
Makes about 4 lb (2 kg) of jam
General Information on Jam Making
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...