Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain, By Clodagh & Dick Handscombe Reviewed.
If you, like me, have dreamt of buying a place in the sun with a little land and living the good life, then one of the questions is ‘how to grow vegetables in a warm climate?’
What will grow in Spain? What varieties to grow in Spain? How to grow vegetables in Spain?
Clodagh & Dick Handscombe have grown vegetables organically for a combined forty years in Alicante and Valencia, Spain so they have a wealth of experience.
They’re located 10 kilometres inland but 400 metres up and despite it being ‘Sunny Spain’ they’ve had to cope with temperatures as low as minus five (minus 15 if you take the wind chill factor into account) as well as nearly plus fifty degrees in the shade!
As they said on this site ” We are lucky to have two springs in Spain ..the autumn and the spring…what happens between can vary immensely. We were snowed in for a day the Wednesday before Christmas and had a few nights down to 4 degrees. Now it is sunny . Was 11 centigrade at midnight, 18 yesterday lunch in the shade but 33 in the sun for a siesta break in building some new raised beds.
Unfortunately many things think it’s spring but that causes few problems on the vegetable plot. Peas and broad beans – and companion planted sweet peas are doing well. Picked last tomatoes and peppers for Christmas, the snow finished off the plants.”
Now they have made their knowledge and experience available in this book so the newcomer to Spain or even Southern France can benefit and avoid the learning curve.
This hands-on book will appeal to those who have never grown vegetables before as well as those with prior experience and is, indeed, timely as we are all being encouraged to increase our vegetable consumption. Its appeal will also extend beyond the Spanish border on account of the wealth of useful and novel ideas contained within it.
The publishers state ” Following on from their hugely successful Your Garden in Spain this new book by well-known gardeners, Clodagh and Dick Handscombe, represents another milestone in gardening literature by being the first book dedicated to the home growing of organic vegetables in Spain, whether living in an apartment, town house, villa or finca.”
Key items included in Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain
- Why it makes sense to grow and eat your own vegetables
- Practical guidelines for growing a diversity of vegetables in different locations
- Dealing with Spain’s widely varying temperatures, poor soils and water shortages
- Natural, ecological and organic solutions to problems
- Maximising the use of limited growing areas, starting with just one square metre
- Encouraging children’s involvement
- Comprehensive English – Spanish gardening vocabulary
- There is a self audit questionnaire in the book which you will
find fun as well!
How to Buy Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain, from Sprouting Seeds to Giant Pumpkins
Available from bookshops throughout Spain and direct from the author below at his web site Gardening in Spain as well as Amazon etc.
Growing Guides, Information & Articles
- Cats Toileting: How to Stop Cats using Garden or Veg Plot as a Toilet
- Garden Hints & Tips
- Top tips for amateur gardeners: get started today
- Raised Beds – Vegetable Growing in Raised Beds
- Seed Saving
- Lawn Care Guides and Advice
- Fluid Seed Sowing & Seed Pre-Germination
- Home Made Pesticides & Unlicensed Use of Pesticides
- Decorative Garden Arches – Roman, Gothic, Ogee Garden Arches
- Grow Your Own Vegetables, Fruit, Herbs & Nuts
- Weed Control
- How to Build a Concrete Garden Path
- Concrete Garden Path Construction – Step by Step Photo Guide
- How Can Gardeners Cope with Climate Change?
- Gardening & Growing Vegetables Under a Hosepipe Ban
- Water Conservation: Garden Techniques
- Flood! Safe Growing & Harvesting of Crops After a Flood
- Day Length and Growing Plants
- Gardener’s Back Pain – Look After Your Back in the Garden
- Become an Urban Farmer and Start Growing Potted Plants
- Allotment Vegetable Plot Planning Software
- Start Your Seeds Indoors For A Jump On Spring Planting
- An Eco-Friendly Garden Backyard – Green Gardening
- Lunar Gardening, planting and gardening according to the phase of the Moon
- Gardening in Spain – Growing in the Mediterranean Climate
- Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain Organically