Whilst this site is UK based, I know we have visitors from all over the world. Gardening in hot climates requires different approaches to the UK which is why I am suggesting you take a look at Richard Handscombe’s web site on Gardening in Spain.
He says about his life there:-
“In our holistic garden and allotment we grow flowers, herbs, vegetables and fruit and are largely self sufficient in our needs for a healthy Mediterranean diet.
Summer shade for siestas, sundowners, al fresco cooking eating and dining is provided by the shade of mature trees and a colourful naya-covered arched terrace. Sheltered sunny warm winter corners are created by wind breaking boundary plant clad walls and internal hedges.
To enable us to produce rich composts for enriching soils for garden beds, containers and the allotment plus invaluable home reared meat and eggs we keep a few chickens and rabbits.”
We have now written six books re gardening in Spain including the best seller Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain and have a regular radio programme on Spanish radio. If you are interested in growing vegetables in the Mediterranean climate or more ideas for growing in a globally warmed southern England the book can be obtained most easily in the UK from Amazon
There’s a lot in their books that can be applied to growing anywhere hot including the Mediterranean, Italy etc. not just in Spain, and they’re very well written and easy to follow – where ever you may be.
Dick is a great believer in a healthy lifestyle and gardens organically as well as being active in the slow food movement.
Growing Guides, Information & Articles
- Cats Toileting: How to Stop Cats using Garden or Veg Plot as a Toilet
- Garden Hints & Tips
- Top tips for amateur gardeners: get started today
- Raised Beds – Vegetable Growing in Raised Beds
- Seed Saving
- Lawn Care Guides and Advice
- Fluid Seed Sowing & Seed Pre-Germination
- Home Made Pesticides & Unlicensed Use of Pesticides
- Decorative Garden Arches – Roman, Gothic, Ogee Garden Arches
- Grow Your Own Vegetables, Fruit, Herbs & Nuts
- Weed Control
- How to Build a Concrete Garden Path
- Concrete Garden Path Construction – Step by Step Photo Guide
- How Can Gardeners Cope with Climate Change?
- Gardening & Growing Vegetables Under a Hosepipe Ban
- Water Conservation: Garden Techniques
- Flood! Safe Growing & Harvesting of Crops After a Flood
- Day Length and Growing Plants
- Gardener’s Back Pain – Look After Your Back in the Garden
- Become an Urban Farmer and Start Growing Potted Plants
- Allotment Vegetable Plot Planning Software
- Start Your Seeds Indoors For A Jump On Spring Planting
- An Eco-Friendly Garden Backyard – Green Gardening
- Lunar Gardening, planting and gardening according to the phase of the Moon
- Gardening in Spain – Growing in the Mediterranean Climate
- Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain Organically